|So, What Exactly WERE You Doing All Year?
||[Jul. 8th, 2007|11:49 pm]
The SOC Puppet
|||||Team Medical Dragon Original Soundtrack - Blue Dragon||]|
Good question. I'm still not sure what I was doing some of the time, and I was there.
First off, what I was NOT doing was being dead. It ALMOST happened (see below), but not quite.
Anyway, here's a short summary:
1. Quit my job and left my crooked, amoral boss behind for good. He can have his 2,000+ pending cases, his long-ass appointment lines of people who have absolutely no chance of winning their immigration case, and his letters to the collection agency to get the rest of the money the poor bastards will wind up owing him.
2. Helped set up and work the 2006 election for Orange County. A word of advice, kids: pulling a 22-hour workday on Election Day is neither safe nor fun. Getting a security clearance for Orange County Airport was fun, but those security lines to get TO the Early Voting setup? Not so much.
3. Driving from Orange County to Fresno and back for a job interview, getting rearended in a hit-and-run up in the mountains in the middle of a pouring rainstorm, and somehow surviving with no injuries and the car actually being repairable. Incidentally, if you were planning on playing tourist in the Fresno area? Don't. It's not worth your time.
4. Driving a rental POS (Chevy Aveo hatchback, for anyone crazy enough to want one) for a month. Power windows? Yeah, right. Power locks? You must be dreaming. Any kind of acceleration in traffic at all? A pipe dream. And good luck getting any kind of radio reception at all.
5. Traveled to Taiwan to bury my grandmother, who died of cancer at the age of 85. A quick summary: humidity, heat, morbid-ass funeral, and my extended family is crazy (example: driving mini electric motorcycles up and down a Taipei riverbank - in a thunderstorm, wearing ponchos, 3 hours before my flight back to the US). Also visited my last surviving grandparent (Mother's father), who's survived six strokes and has Alzheimer's. I feel ever so great about my future health prospects.
6. Getting a new job, which regularly requires me to work overtime. I hate overtime, but I love money. It'll do for now. Not so much the 10 PM end to the workday, but money is money.
7. Yes, working on my stories. I keep saying it when people e-mail me or on my old profile pages. IM me. You'll get snippets of what's being worked on.
8. Not only working on the fics, branching out into another fandom (Harry Potter). More on that to come, probably tomorrow night.
And generally, battling depression and real life. There's nothing quite like having to watch your father, the man you grew up idolizing, break down and cry like a child because he couldn't be at his mother's side when she passed on. Tell your loved ones you care about them. You may not get another chance.
More to come. I think.